Thursday, February 7, 2013

My Favorite Books (Part 1)

In addition to writing, I love reading. I thought I would take a little while to catalog some of my favorite books, and share them with you. I'm going to split this into 2 posts and I'm sharing them in no particular order, just as they occur to me. This is fiction books. I'll make another post for non-fiction later.

Please share your favorite books with me in the comments and maybe they'll become new favorites of mine.


The Declaration by Gemma Malley -This is the first of 3 books, and I include them all here. This is the tale of a future society where the secret to eternal life has been discovered. The catch: to op-in to life-ever-more you have to sign The Declaration vowing never to have children, thus keeping the planet's population stable. Anna, is a surplus (an illegal child). Let the fight against injustice begin.
 
Angels and Demons by Dan Brown - I love lots of books by Dan Brown, but this is my favorite. Dan Brown is a master of creating mystery and tension that keeps you engaged and turning the pages.



Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card - Along with this, I'll include all of the Ender books and the entire Shadow series, which is a companion series. This is a great sci-fi series filled with an awesome world, fantastic and dynamic characters, and pearls of astonishingly poignant truths about life and human nature.

Empire by Orson Scott Card - This is a thriller about a modern day civil war in the U.S. It's full of political maneuvering, deception, and manipulation. Especially great for anyone who cringes at the thought of the word "progressive" when it comes to politics.

The Choice by Nicolas Sparks - I love almost all of Nicolas Sparks' book, but this one was especially compelling. It features not only a sweet love story, but a heart-wrenching choice everyone who's truly loves dreads ever having to face.

Deception Point by Dan Brown - This is my second favorite book by Dan Brown, also filled with great gotta-know-what-happens suspense. This is a mystery of Political maneuvering and government cover up with a side of astonishing scientific discovery. 


The Harry Potter Series by J.K. Rowling- It's a modern classic. I think what I love most about these books is how detailed and integrated they are. A minor, though interesting, detail in one book will later turn out to be a key clue to an important mystery one or two books later. As an author, I take my proverbial hat off to J.K. Rowling. 

The Twilight Saga by Stephenie Meyer - I know, I know. These books are cheesy and melodramatic, but they are also fun and create such vivid characters. I enjoy the books just as much on a serious level as I do poking fun at them. They had to make the list since I've read them all at least half-a-dozen times (gasp).

The Odd Thomas Series by Dean Koontz - A fascinating tale of a guy, Odd Thomas, who can see dead people. Though his ability pulls him into some truly terrifying situations confronting sadistic, monstrous people, Odd Thomas manages to remain truly good. Good in spite of the evil, not because he's sheltered from it, but because he chooses to be good knowing full well what the options are.

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austin - I love the subtle and clever wit as much as the love story. Jane Austin is one of my favorite authors, though I love listening to the audio books best.

Lightning by Dean Koontz - This is an exciting thriller about love, tragedy, strength through adversity, history, and the future, with a fabulous and surprising sci-fi twist.

Lost December by Richard Paul Evens - A modern-day Prodigal Son story told in a relatable, surprising, and gripping manner that makes this book an enjoyable and thought-provoking experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to share your thoughts. I read and appreciate every comment.